I just bought a Promise SmartStor Zero recently. It is a two-bay NAS emphasize as a simple and easy to use media server. I saw many people complains about the slow transfer rate and no security configuration.
What it catches my eyes for the low price and two-bay with RAID capability. It evens comes with a good smart fan control by temperature, a powerful 4A power adapter, and two HDD trays for easier installation.
The USB field in Promise SmartStor Zero means to plug a 16GB TDK TRANS-IT EDGE USB silver into Promise SmartStor Zero and use the Web File Manager in its web administration interface to copy from TDK TRANS-IT EDGE USB silver to Promise SmartStor Zero. The same task took 236 seconds, or 28.8MB/s, from TDK TRANS-IT EDGE USB silver to Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge 72z.
mount -t cifs //[IP of SmartStor Zero]/PUBLIC [target name] -o username=admin,password=admin,noperm mount -t nfs [IP of SmartStor Zero]:/VOLUME1/PUBLIC [target name]
Connecting to Shared Folders
I choose to mount as Samba shared folders with options noperm. For Network File System (aka NFS), I will have problems reading files upload through Samba. There are some permission issue and Samba is the best solution in our Linux/Windows mixed environment.
Due to the slow performance, I will to use a USB HDD to transfer files into SmartStor Zero. It is faster and more stable.
Capable as a Media Server at Home
It is slow as a NAS, but it is enough as a Media Server at home to me.
DLNA is not Linux and Android Friendly
But it’s difficult to work with VLC media player on OpenSuSE 13.1, I have to disable firewall to see SmartStor Zero in [Universal Plug’n’Play] under [Local Network]. Once visible, I won’t be able to browse the content in SmartStor Zero until I enable the firewall again. Strange but it works.
Fan and Cooling System
I enable the [Fan Control] in [Administration]→[System]→[Enclosure Information]. The fan automatically begin to work when it reach 44°C. It stops working when it goes down to 39ºC.
The rotational speed changes according to temperature, and it is quiet enough to me. Better than LevelOne NAS GNS-1001.
I see Promise SmartStor Zero as a media server with Network-attached storage (aka NAS) rather than a NAS with media server capability. That’s why I don’t feel the performance is a key factor for my personal video entertainment.
- Promise SmartStor Zero
- Engadget: Promise’s SmartStor Zero NAS streamer dumbs down DLNA for the iPad (hands-on)
- Facebook: 請問 Smartstor Zero 在購物中心寫是NS2600的進階版 為何功能比NS2600 還差(系統顯示NS2500)!!! 官網無任何ZERO 的連結或產品介紹??是怎樣??請說明!! 否則不排除請消保官調查廣告不實!!!(被搞到惱火的使用者)
- Match Hard Disk Startup Current with Power Adapter Output Current
- Connect NAS to your Computer Directly
- File Transmission with Different Sharing Solution on NAS
- Amazon: TDK TRANS-IT EDGE USB 32GB silver
- Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge 72z
- Using Microsoft Networking via Samba with QNAP TS-112 and LevelOne GNS-1001
- Using Network File System (NFS) Service with QNAP TS-112
- Wiki: Gigabit Ethernet
- Wiki: Fast Ethernet
- DD-WRT for my TP-Link TL-WR842ND
- Wiki: Digital Living Network Alliance
- VLC media player
- Portal: OpenSuSE 13.1
- Wiki: MPEG-4 Part 14
- LevelOne NAS GNS-1001
- Wiki: Samba (software)
- Wiki: Network File System
- Wiki: Network-attached storage
- Digital Review: Promise SmartStor NS2300N and NS4300N RAID Network Attached Storage Devices – Reviewed