My TP-Link TL-WR842ND freeze once or twice a day. It’s not the WAN because I may go online with other ports on FDDI modem. I cannot even login to my TL-WR842ND. Upgrade to the latest firmware doesn’t help, either. After 7 months, I give up and get a new AP.
Until last week, when I try to do more research to see if there is any solution, a YouTube names “TP-link TL-WR740N freezing, no connection until restart” catch my eye. It’s exactly what happen to me. And there are comments TL-WR842ND has the same problem, too. Aidin shadnezhad solve his problem by flash it with DD-WRT firmware.
Here comes the solution!
Download and Install DD-WRT
Please use an Ethernet to connect to your TL-WR842ND. If you use Wireless connection, you might not be able to login your router after flashing firmware.
- Search for your model in DD-WRT: Router Database. I use WR842ND as keyword to find my router.
- Download factory-to-ddwrt.bin and tl-wr842ndv1-webflash.bin.
- In TL-WR842ND’s configuration utility, use [System Tools]→[Firmware Upgrade] to upload factory-to-ddwrt.bin and click [Upgrade] to flash firmware.
- Browse http://192.168.1.1 to the new DD-WRT control panel. It will help you to setup password for administrator.
- Choose [Administration]→[Firmware Upgrade] to upgrade with tl-wr842ndv1-webflash.bin again
Configure your WAN and LAN
First, let’s get connect to internet.
- [Setup]→[Basic Setup] to your WAN.
- Choose the connection type of your WAN. It shall be available from your ISP.[
- [Save] and [Apply Settings]
- Enable [SPI Firewall] in [Security]→[Firewall] as soon as possible.
If you need to change DHCP setting like DNS, start IP address, and etc, you may find them in this page.
Now, make the WiFi available again.
- [Wireless]→[Basic Settings]
- Provide your SSID and tick [Disable] Wireless SSID Broadcast for better security.
- Add your WPA Shared Key in [Wireless]→[Wireless Security]. I preferred to use [WPA2 Personal] with [AES] for better security.
- Enable MAC Filter will stop wireless access from unknown computer. In [Wireless]→[MAC Filter], click on [Edit MAC Filter List] to provide known device. Choose [Permit only listed to access the wireless network] to prevent others to access.
You may increase security level by disable unwanted service in [Services]→[Services], turn off [VPN] and [NAS], fine tune more setting in [Firewall], and etc.
Although there are people complaining Tomato is more stable than DD-WRT, it is actually more stable than the factory firmware to me – I haven’t drop for weeks. Besides, only DD-WRT support Atheros. I don’t have other choice, either.
DD-WRT provides more information about my router and the statistics is more useful. I was very surprised it comes with Atheros AR7241 at 400 MHz and 32MB RAM only.
For those using Broadcom, Atheros, and Ralink chips, you may try DD-WRT if you have drop-line issue. If you are using Broadcom, you may also try Tomato, too. It’s good to have more options for your hardware.
- YouTube: TP-link TL-WR740N freezing, no connection until restart
- Aidin shadnezhad
- DD-WRT: Router Database
- TP-Link TL-WR842ND User Guide
- DD-WRT: TP-Link TL-WR842N(D) v1.x factory-to-ddwrt.bin
- DD-WRT: TP-Link TL-WR842N(D) v1.x tl-wr842ndv1-webflash.bin
- Mobile01: 請教DD-WRT 與 Tomato的差異
- TomatoUSB: Difference between DD-wrt and tomatousb
- 電腦殺毒掃毒與軟體硬體與網路防毒研究中心：[網路] 無線IP分享器(無線基地台) 刷第三方韌體 DD-WRT
- OpenWrt: TP-Link TL-WR842ND
- OpenWrt: LuCI Essentials
- OpenWrt: [HOWTO] Unbrick TP-Link WR842ND WITHOUT serial