2015/3/29 Update after testing a Thecus W5000.
Thecus WSS comes with Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Essentials for SMB / home and Standard for large business. Both are x64 and supports more than 4GB RAM. Feel free to upgrade your W2000, W4000, and W5000 to 4GB RAM.
Below is a clear explanation about Windows Storage Server from Thecus W5000 with Mac OSX File Transfer Performance Report:
Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Essentials is a x64 Windows based on Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2. In specification tab of Thecus W5000, you will see a comparison table of Workgroup, Standard, and Essentials. Essentials doesn’t support Hyper-V but is capable of being a Domain Controller of Active Directory.
Although WSS 2012 R2 Essentials is a x64 Windows, it is limited to 4GB of RAM on Intel Atom Processor D2550 models. Memory Limits for Windows and Windows Server Releases on Microsoft provides a clear explanation.
For Windows 7 and 8, you may use Launchpad which will be install automatically during first-time connect. Browse below web address to launch Server Wizard.
http://<Thecus WSS Server IP>/connect
Mac user need to download Windows Server Essentials Connector for Windows Server 2012 R2 from Microsoft Download Center and install MacConnector.dmg manually. If you follow Connect NAS to your Mac Directly with Ethernet, MacConnector won’t connect to your Thecus Windows Storage Server device even with IP address.
It also provides Remote Desktop Protocol aka RDP for remote access.
There is a My Server mobile app in windows Store to help you manage from windows tablet. I use Dashboard to manage accounts and Server Manager for File and Storage Services. If you want to use Storage Spaces, use Server Manager. Or you may use [Disk Management] in Computer Management to create RAID. How To Manage Storage Spaces and Storage Pools in Windows Server 2012 on MCP Magazine is a step-by-step guide which I found it very useful.
Active Directory support is build-in. It is capable of being a Domain Controller of Active Directory according to [SPECIFICATION] tab in W5000. You will need to enable [Active Directory Domain Services] in Server Manager and use [Active Directory Administrative Center] under [Tools] for administration.
According to Illegal Characters on Various Operating Systems and Semantic Differences Between Server for NFS and UNIX-Based NFS Servers on Microsoft TechNet, : ” \ / * ? < > | and any character type with [Ctrl] key are invalid characters in file names.
Use Server Manager to configure File and Storage Services. You also need to configure [Security] property of the shared folder to match your permission policy.
There is no official mobile client apps like Dropbox for general users. You need to get a third-party apps.
For OSX users, you need to create a shared folder on Thecus WSS and connect to it from OS X. Then enable Time Machine in OSX. An Easier Way to Set Up Time Machine to Back Up to a Networked Windows Computer on Lifehacker will guide you step-by-step.
Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 and Windows Storage Server 2012 on Microsoft TechNet provides some useful resource for existing user. Basic concept should be similar to Windows Server 2012 R2. Make sure it is supported on Thecus WSS.
If you have Thecus WSS across WAN, BranchCache might help you to save traffic. You will found this option when using [New Share Wizard] in Server Manager. It must be enabled in [Server Roles] first. Or you may manually enable this in [Sharing] Tab → [Advanced Sharing] → [Caching] → [enable BranchCache] of the property dialog of the shared folder. Enable BranchCache on a file share on TechNet has a clear explanation.
- Acronis: 39790: Illegal Characters on Various Operating Systems
- Apple: OS X
- Connect NAS to your Mac Directly with Ethernet
- Intel Atom Processor D2550
- Invalid Characters in File Names
- Lifehacker: An Easier Way to Set Up Time Machine to Back Up to a Networked Windows Computer
- MCPMAG: How To Manage Storage Spaces and Storage Pools in Windows Server 2012
- Microsoft: Download Center: Windows Server Essentials Connector for Windows Server 2012 R2
- Microsoft: MSDN: Resilient file system
- Microsoft: TechNet: BranchCache
- Microsoft: TechNet: Domain Controller Roles
- Microsoft: TechNet: Enable BranchCache on a file share
- Microsoft: TechNet: File and Storage Services Overview
- Microsoft: TechNet: Get Connected in Windows Server Essentials
- Microsoft: TechNet: Hyper-V
- Microsoft: TechNet: Overview of the Dashboard in Windows Server Essentials
- Microsoft: TechNet: Overview of the Launchpad in Windows Server Essentials
- Microsoft: TechNet: Semantic Differences Between Server for NFS and UNIX-Based NFS Servers
- Microsoft: TechNet: Storage Spaces Overview
- Microsoft: TechNet: Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 and Windows Storage Server 2012
- Microsoft: Windows
- Microsoft: Windows Server 2012 R2
- Microsoft: Windows Store: My Server
- Microsoft: Windows: Memory Limits for Windows and Windows Server Releases
- Samba.org: [Samba] Question marks, asterisks, colons in filenames
- Seagate: Seagate Laptop SSHD
- Thecus W5000 with Mac OSX File Transfer Performance Report
- Thecus: W2000
- Thecus: W4000
- Thecus: W5000
- Thecus: Windows Storage Server
- Thecus: Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Essentials
- Thecus: Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Standard
- Wiki: Active Directory
- Wiki: ext4
- Wiki: Bring your own device
- Wiki: Domain controller
- Wiki: Encrypting File System
- Wiki: File Allocation Table
- Wiki: File system
- Wiki: IP address
- Wiki: Network File System
- Wiki: NTFS
- Wiki: POSIX
- Wiki: Remote Desktop Protocol
- Wiki: Server Message Block
- Wiki: Shadow Copy
- Wiki: Solid-state drive
- Wiki: Standard RAID levels
- Wiki: Time Machine (OS X)
- Wiki: Wide area network
- Wiki: x86-64
- Wiki: x86-64: 6.6 Windows