Install VirtualBox and Create a Configuration File
- Choose [Other Windows (64-bit)] [Windows 20012 (64-bit)] in [Versions] in [Name and operating system] dialog.
- Memory must more than 4096MB
- Choose [Dynamically allocated] in [Storage and physical hard drive] dialog to allocate space when needed.
- Mount Windows Server 2012 R2 iso file in [CD/DVD Drive] on [Storage] tab in [Settings]
Windows Server 2012 R2 Installation
It’s pretty simple to install Windows Server 2012 R2 on an empty disk.
- Choose [Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Evaluation (Server with a GUI)]
- Choose [Custom: Install Windows only (Advanced)]
After installation, it will power off automatically.
Install VirtualBox Guest Additions
From VirtualBox menu, choose [Devices] → [Insert Guest Additions CD Image…] to mount this CD image. Use [File Explorer] to run [VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe] to install integration tools and drivers.
After installation, you may mount a shared folder on host operating system in this virtual machine.
Add Extra Features and Configure Active Directory
After installation, you need to manually add several components in Windows Server 2012 R2 and setup a domain controller running Active Directory service.
- Use [Server Manager] → [Add roles and features] to add extra components.
- In [Installation Type] section, choose [Role-based or feature-based installation]
- In [Server Selection], choose current virtual machine as the server.
- In [Server Roles] section, select [Active Directory Domain Services], [Application Server], and [Web Server (IIS)].
- In [Features] section, select [Windows Search Service], [.NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 anmd 3.0)] in [.NET Framework 3.5 Features] and [APS.NET 4.5] in [.NET Framework 4.5 Features (2 of 7 installed)].
After installing, you will see a flag with warning mark on upper right corner. Click and choose [Promote this server to a domain controller] to launch [Active Directory Domain Services Configuration Wizard].
- Choose [Add a new forest] in [Deployment Configuration] and provide a valid root domain name, eg lab.org, for the test environment.
Add Organization Unit and an Active Directory User for Reporting Service
Next is to customize our Active Directory.
Second, create a new user in above OU. Use [Member Of] tab in property dialog to add this user in [ReportingGroup].
Now, you have a proper configuration for Dynamics CRM.
Install SQL Server 2014
- Launch [SQL Server Installation Center], choose [New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation] in [Installation] section.
- In [Setup Role], choose [SQL Server Feature Installation].
- In [Feature Selection], select [Full-Text and Semantic Extractions for Search], [Reporting Services – Native], and [Management Tools – Complete]
- In [Database engine Configuration], choose [Mixed Mode] and [Add Current User] as a SQL Server administrator.
Configure Reporting Service
I am going to use the user account created in [Add Organization Unit and an Active Directory User for Reporting Service] as described earlier in this post.
- Launch [Reporting Services Configuration Connection] and connect to your SQL Server.
- In [Service Account] section, choose [user another account]. Provide user information created here.
If you didn’t assign Active Directory user for Reporting Services and fail in [Microsoft Dynamics CRM Reporting Extensions Setup], after above procedure, you may execute installation program [Organizational Unit.exe] in [SrsDataConnector] folder in your Dynamic CRM install directory to try again.
Install Microsoft Dynamics CRM Reporting Extensions on TechNet provides detail explain on this topic.
Install Dynamic CRM
- Workgroup Server 2015 (5 CAL limit): XY8GN-DF2MC-FV482-YM9YP-HH6H2
- CRM Server 2015 (no CAL limit): C6BDP-T6NK9-8TXJP-36WTB-TXW7V
In the next few steps:
- Fill the server name running SQL Server in [Specify Deployment Options].
- Select the OU which you have created earlier.
- Choose [NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE] for all service in [Specify Service Accounts].
Now, you have successfully install your Dynamics CRM.
Test Your Dynamics CRM
Browse localhost in virtual machine, you shall be able to see it now.
If you need some sample data, from upper left [Microsoft Dynamics CRM] choose [Settings]. Then choose [Settings] → [Data Management] → [Sample Data] to install.
There are many related posts explains how to install. Step by Step: Installing Dynamics CRM 2013 on Windows Server 2012 on MSDN Blog is also very useful.
Install Microsoft Dynamics CRM Front End Server and Back End Server roles on TechNet provides information to run Dynamics CRM on multiple servers.
- Apple: OS X
- Microsoft Developer Network: Reporting Services (SSRS)
- Microsoft Download Center: Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server 2015
- Microsoft Dynamics
- Microsoft MSDN Blogs: Step by Step: Installing Dynamics CRM 2013 on Windows Server 2012
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014
- Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition
- Microsoft TechNet Evaluation Center: SQL Server 2014
- Microsoft TechNet: Create a new organizational unit
- Microsoft: TechNet: Domain Controller Roles
- Microsoft TechNet: Install Microsoft Dynamics CRM Front End Server and Back End Server roles
- Microsoft TechNet: Install Microsoft Dynamics CRM Reporting Extensions
- Microsoft TechNet: Organizational units
- Microsoft TechNet: Software requirements for Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server 2015: SQL Server editions
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
- Oracle VM VirtualBox
- Wiki: .NET Framework
- Wiki: Active Directory
- Wiki: Active Directory: 2.2 Forests, trees, and domains
- Wiki: Virtual machine