Here are some tips I experience while customize Buttons, Links, and Actions on Salesforce.com. I will put related tips/notes here.
Use a Button to Launch a Windows Program
To simplify integration Salesforce.com with Windows applications, I use protocol links in URL. For example, when I try to browser a Lotus Notes bookmark notes://lotuesnotes/12345, Lotus Notes Desktop Client will be launch and display the document.
If I want to create a button open a Lotus Notes bookmark in Lotus Notes Bookmark field on Task object, I have to configure a custom button:
- Click New Button or Link to create a new button
- Select Detail Page Button in Display Type
- Select Execute JavaScrip in Behavior
Remember to put this new button on your detail page.
- Microsoft: Registering an Application to a URI Scheme
- ShotGun Support: Launching applications using custom browser protocols
- Salesforce: Open pdf static resource with button press in new window
- StackOverflow: How to launch an application from a browser?