I am currently porting ZurmoCRM to QTS platform which runs on QNAP device. According to QNAP TS-269L as a LAMP Application Server Performance Report, I decide to focus on Intel Atom Processor based NAS first. If the performance is acceptable, I will support ARMADA XP later.
In previous test, SugarCRM running on an Intel Atom D2701 based QNAP TS-269L is as fast as Intel Atom D510 based Shuttle X50V2 running. How about the performance with ZurmoCRM? Is there any difference between QTS and Debian? Let’s take a look at it.
Processor, RAM, and Linux Difference
Both Intel Atom D2701 and Intel Atom D510 have 2 core with 4 threads and 4 times the cache (1MB vs 256KB) compares to Marvell 88F6281. Each instruction set is 64-bit compared to 32-bit on. In other words, it should be able to run 64-bit operating system even the current QTS for QNAP TS-269L is still 32-bit. The Debian in TurnKey Linux is x64 which means 64-bit.
RAM is expandable to 3GB. There is an empty RAM slot. With more RAM available, you may see improvements on disk sensitive operation and may run more applications without out of memory at the same time.
I connect NAS to computer directly. Then upload ZurmoCRM and setup with build-in demo data. Shuttle X50V2 is setup with ISO image from TurnKey Linux: Zurmo. Then use Firefox to list all contacts. There are 28 contact records provided from ZurmoCRM demo data.
To satisfy requirement, I also manually edit Qthhttpd.sh in QTS and php.ini in Debian to increase memory_limit from 128M to 256M. Please reference QNAP QTS Configuration and Executable Files and TurnKey Linux Configuration and Executable Files to find the path.
All unnecessary background process and programs are disabled.
With the right cache system required by Zurmo, it may improve performance.
QNAP TS-269L is configured with following disk sets.
According to my MTU test, I keep it to use default 1500.
I measure time to load 1 and 5 contacts in a single login session. The 5 contacts are loaded in different tabs in the same Firefox. Therefore, it use only one thread and won’t begin to load the next until finish. If you are confused or interested in the relationship of LAMP, thread, multi-core processor, hyper-threading, How Multi-Core Processors Accelerate your LAMP Applications provides detail explain in plain English.
The lack of support Alternative PHP Cache and Memcache makes QTS a poor choice for ZurmoCRM. You will need a much more powerful processor with QNAP. I don’t think the performance is acceptable with QTS 4.0 on QNAP TS-269L now. It needs more optimization.
About memory_limit in php.ini, StackOverflow has an interesting topic: “StackOverflow: Is the more the better for PHP memory_limit? [closed]” while Jeff Starr does a test on Perishable Press: Improve Site Performance by Increasing PHP Memory for WordPress. If you didn’t increase before setup ZurmoCRM, you will fail to install demo data.
- QNAP: QTS
- QNAP TS-269L as a LAMP Application Server Performance Report
- Intel Atom Processor
- Marvell ARMADA XP
- Shuttle X50V2 Datasheet
- Intel: Intel Atom Processor D510
- Intel Atom Processor D2700
- QNAP TS-269L
- TurnKey Linux
- Wiki: LAMP (software bundle)
- QNAP TS-119PII
- Marvell: Marvell 88F6282 SoC
- Marvell: Marvell 88F6281 SoC with Sheeva Technology
- Wiki: Instruction set
- Wiki: Operating system
- QNAP: Upgrade RAM Memory for QNAP NAS
- TurnKey Linux
- Connect NAS to your Computer Directly
- TurnKey Linux: Zurmo
- Zurmo: Zurmo Cache System Explained
- PHP.net: Alternative PHP Cache
- PHP.net: Memcache
- QNAP QTS Configuration and Executable Files
- TurnKey Linux Configuration and Executable Files
- Mozilla: Firefox
- Wiki: PHP accelerator
- Wiki: List of PHP accelerators
- QNAP Turbo NAS User Manual: Media Library
- PHP: PHP Manual: Appendices: php.ini directives: memory_limit
- PHP: PHP Manual: Appendices: php.ini directivies
- Wiki: Session (computer science)
- Wiki: Thread (computing)
- Seagate Surveillance HDD
- Wiki: Standard RAID levels: RAID 1
- Trusted Review: OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD review
- Wiki: Multi-core processor
- Wiki: Hyper-threading
- How Multi-Core Processors Accelerate your LAMP Applications
- Marvell ARMADA XP
- Wiki: List of Intel Atom microprocessors: CE SoCs: Dual-Core CE SoCs
- Intel Newsroom: Intel Launches System-on-Chip Storage Solution Designed for Simple Video Transcoding and Streaming
- Perishable Press: Improve Site Performance by Increasing PHP Memory for WordPress
- StackOverflow: Is the more the better for PHP memory_limit? [closed]