SSHD combines SSD and disk-based hard drive together. It keeps a copy of the frequently read disk data (not files) to SSD as a cache. If the next read is hit in SSD, it may be read from SSD directly which is much faster compared to disk. If it is missed, it will read from the disk which is the same as most hard drive.
I bought three SSHD for different purpose:
- Toshiba SSHD 500GB MQ01ABF050H which is a 2.5″ and 7mm height HDD for my ThinkPad X131e
- Seagate Laptop SSHD 1TB which is a 2.5″ and 9.5mm height HDD for my upcoming Mac Mini
- Seagate Desktop SSHD 1TB which is a 3.5″ HDD for my ThinkCentre Edge 72z AIO
Here are what I concern about:
Compared to traditional disk-based hard drive, SSHD have an extra SSD which result in more power consumption.
Therefore, I choose a 1-plate Toshiba SSHD 500GB for notebook and a 2-plate Seagate Laptop SSHD for desktop to balance performance and battery life.
Disk Rotation Speed and Temperature
A 7200rpm model may provide faster read and shorter access time compared to 5400rpm. But it also increase the temperature, higher temperature means shorter disk life.
At first, I choose 5400rpm Seagate Laptop SSHD for my ThinkCentre Edge 72z AIO. The temperature is about 36°C in my room without air conditioning during summer time in Taipei.
When the Seagate Desktop SSHD is available, I replace it with the 7200rpm Seagate Desktop SSHD. The temperature raise to about 41°C in my room without air conditioning during summer time in Taipei.
There are also some difference between Toshiba SSHD and Seagate SSHD:
- Toshiba SSHD use SLC (TH58TEG6H2HBA4C, Enterprise SLC) while all Seagate SSHD use MLC.
- Toshiba SSHD has 32MB buffer while all Seagate SSHD have 64MB.
- Seagate will keep booting related data in cache. No need to worry about the FIFO to affect boot data. Toshiba doesn’t provide much about their firmware.
More related information about the SSHD listed here may be found as below:
- StorageReview.com: Toshiba SSHD Review (MQ01ABDH)
- StorageReview.com: Seagate SSHD Thin Review (Gen3 500GB, ST500LM000)
- StorageReview.com: Seagate Desktop SSHD Review
- Seagate Laptop SSHD Datasheet
- Seagate: Adaptive Memory Technology
- StorageReview.com: Toshiba 1TB SSHD (MQ01ABD100H) Review
- CNet.com: Toshiba SSHD review: Pricey, but still a good alternative to SSD
- myce.com Toshiba MQ01ABD100H 1000GB & MQ01ABF050H 500GB Solid State Hybrid Drives Review
- 東芝半導体製品総覧表 2013 年1 月版